Printing via an intermediate PC (LAN)
This printing scenario may be used in case your printer does not have built-in wireless
capabilities, if PrinterShare driver packs do not have a driver for your printer or if, for
some reason, PrinterShare cannot connect to your printer directly. Please note that for
printing to take place, your Android device and your computer have to be connected
to the same wireless network. Your printer does not have to be necessarily physically
connected to your computer (via USB or a parallel port) and can also be connected
wirelessly, but it should already be configured to work with your computer.
- The first step would be to download PrinterShare console. Installers are available on
our web page for free. Bonjour print services for windows is a part of the package that
allows communication between your Android device and your computer, and has to be
installed; if you already have a more recent version of Bonjour installed, you may skip
- Once the software is installed on your computer, run it, but make sure that your
printer (or printers) is switched on.
Your printer (or printers) will be displayed in Local printers window.
- Select the needed printer by left-clicking it and then -- once it is highlighted -- press
button right underneath Local printers window with a list of printers. That
will allow PrinterShare on your Android device to ‘see’ your printer.
- Next, make sure Nearby service is on (bottom left corner of the screen).
- Now, take your android device and check that Wi-Fi is active on your Android device
by going to Settings > Wireless & Networks (Wi-Fi box should be checked) and that
you are connected to the same wireless network as your computer (Settings > Wireless
& Networks>Wi-Fi settings)
- With that taken care of, take your Android device and open PrinterShare by tapping
on its icon.
- If that is the first time you run PrinterShare, you will see a splash screen with two
buttons: Read More (which will provide you with general information on PrinterShare’s
functionality) and Continue. Tap Continue once you are ready to proceed.
- You will see the main PrinterShare screen with icons that allow you to access various
items that can be printed. Below the grid of icons you will see an icon of a printer with
Not Selected displayed beside it. To select your shared printer, press the menu
button on your device. The way your menu button looks and its location depend on
the model of your Android device. Menu button can be a physical button that has to be
depressed, a touch-sensitive button or it could be displayed on your device’s screen.
Examples of how a menu button may look:
- Tap Nearby Printers Wi-Fi button and wait for the app to detect your printer.
- When your printer is detected, tap it and you are ready to print.
- Once you select an item you would like to print from the main menu of PrinterShare
app, you will be taken to Print Preview screen where you will be able to adjust printing
option (paper type, quality of printing, etc.) by tapping Options button which is located
beside Print button that will, in its turn, actually send an item for printing.
If the item you have sent for printing does not print shortly after you tapped Print,
you will need to check whether print job is not waiting for your command to print in
PrinterShare console on your computer. You can see a list of pending print jobs in
Incoming window which you can access by clicking
button located below Local Printers section of the main screen.
Select the arrived print job by left-clicking it and then click Print button.
You can automate printing by left-clicking Printer > Automation and setting Nearby
Client to Print automatically in desktop PrinterShare console.
Copyright © 2006-2010 Printer Anywhere Inc.
All rights reserved.
Print it anytime, anywhere! FREE!